Monday, May 30, 2005

Dangerous Thinking

Having placed myself back into a traditional and Very institutional church setting, I'm coming to realize how dangerous our philosophy of church is.

The idea that one can experience intimacy with God and His people on a deep meaningful level unhindered by hierarchies, budgets, by-laws and programs is neat to think about and offers no barrier to fellowship with any other believers. That is until you have lived it!

Now, I find myself on the edge of a cliff. If I don't watch my step, I'll tumble into the void of haughty self-righteousness.

As I look around the meeting room I see people like me. I imagine them yearning for genuine friendship with real people who have real fears, sins, concerns, and real gifts. I think I see them hoping their God is real and almost believing that He wants to be intimate with them too.

I want to show them where I've been. I want to give them the gift of friendship with no strings; only love. I hope they're up for it. I hope I don't split at the seams waiting for them to want what I want. I pray for the humility to endure their system while I look for in-roads and I pray for the strength to love them even when they don't agree with me.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Hubbard Family said...

Dave,

Interesting to hear what it is like to have been in this community and then to be placed in another setting. I think we will all learn from your experiences.

I saw Johnnie & Jessie a few days ago. They (& your house) are still standing!

Our best to your whole family.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Alisa said...

Dave I love what you said here,

"I pray for the humility to endure the torture of their system while I look for in-roads and I pray for the strength to love them even when they don't agree with me."

I have felt that same way many times. Maybe you'll appreciate the lessons my "out-of-church" part of the body has been receiving from the Father and find them usefull. Blog on. - Alisa

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home