Thursday, August 11, 2005

Human Forms

A couple of nights ago, we sat around a table talking with some terrific people about starting something here to facilitate individual relationships. The guy who called the meeting named the idea "small groups." (Is that always the first name we use?) Anyway, he passed out a two-page paper entitled: Small Group Leader Training. (Sound familiar?) On his paper were all the things that we've all tried to do in our groups at one time or another. You know: snacks/no snacks, baby sitter/no sitter, etc. I told the group I liked the paper and had had the opportunity to see each of these ideas work well and fail miserably. I got to thinking why that is and the best I can come up with is that
it's not about the form, it's about the family.
It's not about the snack, it's about His body.
It's not about our ideas, it's about intimacy: the reason He made us.
It's not about what to study, it's about listening to the Spirit.
It's not about the leadership it's about the Headship of Christ.
We believers tend to devise all sorts of plans and programs to fill in for His headship and the leading of the Spirit because our faith is weak. We need, okay I need to trust the Father to show up. To trust the words of Jesus when he promised, "I won't leave you like orphans." CEV and stop trying to fill in for my absent father, because HE is NOT absent.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susie Bageant said...

Dave, I miss this contemplative, deep, and God filled spirit that you bring! This was a beautiful way to look at church and I hope we can all keep moving towards it!
Susie

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home